![]() |
| This week's victim: day planner. Also, I can evidently only draw things looking to the left. |
In short, I was a "Wolf Groupie": probably one of the most common trendy wildlife-groupie societies, along with polar bears and killer whales.
I suppose you could say wolves are the reason I got into wildlife biology. To summarize four years of practical and emotional education at the University of Idaho, I very quickly discovered that a) wolves, though beautiful and intelligent, are not quite the romantic spiritual beasts we Wolf Groupies made them out to be, b) it is extremely difficult to actually make a career out of studying them, and c) a very wide swath of western American society hates them. Passionately. This swath also tends to have the opinion that the only people who care about wolves are city folk who know nothing about what it's like to live with them.
Sadly, I fell into this category. My first day of college I received the nickname "Wolfgirl" from the Idaho/Alaska residents in the dorm, and it wasn't a compliment.
![]() |
| me with Amani at WERC |
However, I still harbored this insatiable desire to work with wolves. Thus, in 2007 I gave up a high-paying, somewhat stable job with the US Geological Survey working with bobcats and coyotes in southern California to move to Alpine, Arizona and help with Mexican wolf recovery. All for $15 per day, a free room in a trailer, and the oh-so-prestigious title of "volunteer".
I described one of these experiences in this post, where I hiked in to a radio-collared wolf to see if she had any pups. This was the female of the Luna Pack. The Luna Pack had been around for a while - that is, the project personnel had always had at least one pack member collared - but when I got on the job, the collared alpha male had disappeared and nobody knew what had happened to the rest of them. We wanted to get at least one other collar out there, so we spent some time surveying the area to find "hot-spots" where we might set some traps for Luna.
And then one day, in the dry, sandy Indian Creek streambed within the old Luna territory, I found tracks.
![]() |
| They came just in time to keep me from turning savage |

It was pretty boring, to say the least. Occasionally a camper might show up in the nearby campground, and one of my supervisors and his wife showed up to keep me company for a day. But the for the most part, I checked the trapline every morning and every evening, and spent the rest of my time reading, walking around in the hills, and nursing the 3-hour battery life on my laptop to type or watch a video. The actual Willow Creek flowed just beyond the parking area for the cabin, and I'm not ashamed to say that it became my bath. It's the only time I've ever skinny-dipped.Boring it might have been, but it was beautiful. Elk came through every day. I heard them bugling, and the strange call a mother elk makes to find her calf; I heard owls, and whip-poor-wills, and a great variety of other amazing birds. Maybe it was partially due to the propane, but I got some good thinking done there at Willow Creek.
But around the time I began to lose my sanity, my luck on the trap line changed.
(To be continued...)




No comments:
Post a Comment